Thursday, August 22, 2013

Cloud's Plan

The smoke from pipes and cigars filled the bar as patrons were enjoying drinks and conversations away from the humdrum's of work in the local stone quarry. Barmaids were making rounds barely able to keep up with the orders of drinks and food as the noise in the bar continued to grow as people were laughing and talking over each other.

From a table in the middle of the room music started to play, softly at first and then increasing in volume as if it was competing with the voices and laughter. A single voice matched the music telling a story it seemed that everyone should have been paying attention to, but as the bard noticed only his table was entranced by the song he took a brief pause and mumbled some words into instrument that only he could hear. He picked up the song almost immediately as if he never stopped. The music began to rise with smoke that filled the bar and began to shape it in forms of characters and creatures to which song's lyrics were speaking.

At this point there wasn’t an eye an ear that wasn’t focused solely on the bard and his music. It had soaked into every person's mind, making them feel and relive the story of the fall of Briarburgh. Emotions started to run throughout the crowd of terror and fear and then of excitement of the legendary hero's that would be talked about for years to come. The song came to an end and the smoke dissipated back into the rafters of the bar. The crowd cheered and whistled and showered the bard with coins for such an entertaining show.

"Due to the wonderful nature of these folks," Shouted Arniach, "One round on me for the house!"

Again the crowd cheered and clinked mugs of ale and glasses of wine. And as the crowd settled back into their conversations the bard decided it was time to relax at a back table. Pushing his way through the crowd to a now empty table against the back wall Arniach sat with a thud into the wood chair.

"You can sit down too, brother" Arniach said without even looking around as he was putting his lute back into its leather case.

"Well I do appreciate that" replied Cloud as he grabbed a chair and sat across the table from the bard.

"We always run into each other in the strangest of places." Arianch said looking across the table and picking up a beer the barmaid and just set down in front him.

"Allow me," said Cloud tossing a few coins on the table. "it’s the least I can do after last time."

The barmaid smiled and walked away pocketing what would have bought 5 pints.

"I would appreciate it if you would use my money to impress the women in this town." Arniach smirked reaching his hand out. "You think I don't know when someone picks my pocket?"

"Your money?" Laughed Cloud, "Nice Enchantment on your song, brother, you just had this bar pay for a weeks' worth of the fine living here."

"At least they smile when they give me their money, and not try and hang me, unlike others I know, now my coin purse please."

Cloud handed back his brother money with a straight face as to not encourage the banter from his brother and give him the satisfaction of smiling.

"Now, to what do I owe the pleasure of your company today." Arianch asked looking less amused.

"Can't I just visit my brother, and enjoy his company?" Asked Cloud leaning back in his chair surveying the croud throughout the bar.

"No, no you can't" Arianch "Not since.."

At the start of this sentence, Cloud's eye were immediately brought to a deadlock gaze with Arniach and with little movement Arniach realized he should stop talking.

"Put them away, I can see we aren't here to relive those stories." Arniach said sternly, glaring back just as fiercely.

But instead of sheathing his dagger, he laid it on the table between them and said "This is why I am hear."

"Silent is such a beautiful dagger." Arniach smirked as he picked up the blade. "Perfectly balanced and unequaled in craftsmanship, except by its sister, Fate. Let me hold them both again, I love the feel of them."

"Again, this is why I am hear." Cloud responded sounding slightly irritated at the request. "He still has her, and the idiot decide he could get the relic from Briarburgh by himself…"

"Ahhh, so you are here simply for information then." Arianch now felt he was back in control of the situation. "Bard's do tend to have the information people seek, whether it is in a song or story!"

"Stop, you and I both know these dagger belong to our family," Cloud interrupted "and I will return them to it."

"And what of payment, brother?" Asked Arniach, "No information is free, Orion"

"Use that name again aloud and it will be the last thing you say, brother" sneered Cloud.

"Fine, Fine, what is it you go by these days? Cloud is it? Where to begin." chuckled Arniach. "Named for the constellation you were born under, a hunter of epic abilities, and you hide behind the same name for which keeps the stars from us these past few nights. But you are right, I will not tell that story tonight, or of the tragedy that 'clouds' you now for I have a feeling our family name would only hinder your progress."

Cloud shifted uncomfortably in his chair, only his brother had the ability to make him feel this way. Interrupting his brothers normal story telling style for information he said, "My world was taken from me, and it opened my eyes to what this place has truly become. Enough of the history lessons already tell me about this sudden gathering in Stalemate."

"Patience, little brother!" Scolded Arniach, and seeing that more people were starting to be interested in their conversation, he whispered another enchant and sang a song. The lyrics danced across the tables and caused the patrons to only be able to hear the voices of those sitting nearest to them.

"Now," Continued Arniach "It seems that those kruthik things did not only push out the people but have started hording relics for some reason, and even my songs haven't been able to confirm which or to whom they belonged. This of course has attracted all sorts of gentlemen of your stature to try and recover whatever is there in order to turn a quick buck or establish themselves into society. But as you also know to go in there alone is suicide, and judging by your clothes I can see that you have even tried. So to the parts I do know, There is a Warlord, a Gunslinger, a Wizard and an Ardent with their own purpose for venturing into Briarburgh."

Taking a big swallow of his beer Arniach continued. "If I were you, I would abandon this foolishness, go home to Mum and let her know you are still breathing for now, but since I know better, you will need to do what you do best."

Cloud smiled at this. It was the closest thing he would ever get to a compliment from his big brother. "Find out what these individuals want, lure them into trusting me, and use a small force to acquire Fate."

"Precisely," replied Arniach. "Now, don’t worry, I won't tell Mum I saw you again. I will let you do that in person, and promise me if you make it back alive that you will."

Cloud was now pushing his seat back and standing up. Grabbing Silent and sheathing it back under his cloak he looked at his brother, "I will, and to finally lay to rest these daggers."

"You have your information, and now you leave…"

"You expect more of me?"

"I guess not, other than payment for my information" Chuckled Arniach.

A coin purse appeared from nowhere and was tossed onto the table. "There ya go!"

"I really wish you would stop paying with other people's money" he thought to himself as he pocketed the extra coin.

"Oh and Or…"

A whisper of a sound was heard as a small dagger flew through the air sticking itself into the wall inches from Arniach's head.

"Cloud that is… It wasn't your fault…"

"I missed.." smirked Cloud making his way through the crowd to the entrance of the bar.

Cloud pulled his hood over his head as the memories of things past started dancing through his mind. Looking at the sky he saw dark gray clouds moving in to block his view of the stars. With the last remaining bit of sky still visible he saw 3 stars in a line… Orion's belt.


"Silent Fate will rest at home again Father" He said to himself as he climbed up on his horse. The long journey from Restov to Stalmate was under way and much planning needed to be done to find out how get the others to join him in what could be certain death against the kruthik.

No comments:

Post a Comment